NAMZARIC is a prescription medicine approved to treat moderate to severe Alzheimer’s
disease in patients who are taking donepezil hydrochloride 10 mg, the active ingredient in Aricept®.
There is no evidence that NAMZARIC prevents or slows the underlying disease process in patients with Alzheimer's disease.
Important Risk Information
NAMZARIC should not be taken by anyone who: has an allergy to memantine
HCl, donepezil HCl, medicines that contain piperidines, or any of the ingredients in NAMZARIC.
Before taking NAMZARIC, tell the doctor about all of the patient’s medical conditions, including:
- heart problems including an irregular, slow, or fast heartbeat
- asthma or lung problems
- stomach ulcers
- bladder, kidney, or liver problems
- any surgical, dental, or other medical procedures scheduled when anesthesia may be used
Tell the doctor about all the medicines the patient takes, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
What are the possible side effects of NAMZARIC?
NAMZARIC may cause serious side effects, including:
- muscle problems in patients given anesthesia
- slow heartbeat and fainting. This happens more often in people with heart problems. Call the doctor right away if the patient faints while taking NAMZARIC.
- more stomach acid. This raises the chance of ulcers and bleeding especially when taking NAMZARIC. The risk is higher for patients who have had ulcers, or take aspirin or other NSAIDs.
- nausea and vomiting
- difficulty passing urine
- worsening of lung problems in people with asthma or other
The most common side effects of memantine HCl include: headache, diarrhea, and dizziness.
The most common side effects of donepezil HCl include: diarrhea, not wanting to eat (anorexia), and bruising.
These are not all the possible side effects of NAMZARIC.
Please see full Prescribing Information, including Patient Information.